Motorcycle Insurance at its best! South Africa, which is a top travel destination with a wide diversity of tourism hotspots across a vast landscape is the perfect venue for 2-wheel travel on the open road! Another reason to love your bike is if you wish to save fuel by riding to work in rush-hour traffic, enjoy a breakfast run, or travel long distances, but safety remains a top priority!
The need for Motorcycle Insurance
There has been a significant increase in traffic across all modes of transport in recent years. Unlicensed, reckless and ill-equipped drivers, numerous potholes and wildlife are some of the factors making motorcycle insurance not an option but a must-have before you get onto the saddle!
Motorcycle crashes not only have an impact on life and limb but also have dire financial consequences. Damage to the motorbike will cost an arm and a leg and in the worst-case scenario, if the bike is written off, you may be unable to afford a replacement bike.
Many insurance companies employ biking specialists to assist the actuaries and experts drafting insurance policies to meet the needs of the biking community. The best motorcycle insurance for a specific rider would be the one offering choice and affordability.
Bike Types covered under Motorcycle Insurance
South African insurance companies will most likely insure only NATIS-registered motorbikes. There are a wide variety of bikes that can be insured. These include
- Motorcycles/ motorbikes motorcycle
- Quad bikes
- Muscle Bikes
- Touring bikes
- Custom bikes
- Classic bikes
Important Factors considered in the Cost of Insurance
- Location of use/ Area of frequent travel.
- Age and riding experience - Younger riders are going to pay more for insurance. Riding experience is also a factor. The first-time biker in their 50’s may pay more than a 25-year-old with 7 years of experience.
- Driving history and record of traffic violations. Obey the Rules of the Road, follow traffic regulations, and you could get the best motorcycle insurance rates.
- Accident and claim history - Vehicle accidents will cause your insurance rates to go up.
- Frequency of vehicle use - Insurance companies will consider how your bike is being used. If you are a weekend rider, you can expect to pay less than someone with a commuter bike or when using the bike in the delivery business.
- Type of bike - The type and engine size of your bike will also affect your rates. The larger the engine, the more you can expect to pay for coverage. Sportbikes will cost more to insure than cruisers and touring bikes. In addition, more expensive bikes will also cost more to insure.
- Type of coverage required -Third-party insurance is going to cost less than a comprehensive policy with high amounts of coverage. A high deductible (excess) can save you money, although you will have to pay more if you actually submit a claim.
Get a quote now on our Bike Policy
Established in 1999, OneNet is an independent Health and Insure Brokerage to both individual clients and South African companies through our dedicated network of consultants.
We continue to offer our clients trustworthy access to a wide variety of Health and Insure Products.
We offer Personal, Commercial, including Motor and Motorbike Insurance and Medical Aid, Hospital Plans, plus brilliant Gap Cover, Health Insurance and Pet Insurance.
OneNet provides a consultancy service to hundreds of clients providing us with the necessary negotiation power with insurers to benefit our clients. As a leading role player in the private sector we have established long-lasting relationships with both our clients and service providers.
OneNet provides ongoing advisory, support and communication to our clients in order for them to have peace of mind that we always do have your best interest at heart.